Thursday, April 16, 2015

Good Hair Day


More than ten years ago, I cut my hair off ... boy short. Illness rendered me too weak to hold up a blowdryer over my head in addition to a shower, combing and adding product.

Thankfully, wellbeing returned gradually the past decade; and today was a good hair day. I got to visit Natalia, a creative of the sweetest kind. She doesn't just cut hair, she soothes the soul.

Placing my hair into her capable hands, I relax into a nice chunk of carefree time getting the best treatment in town. Each visit, she surprises me with something different. Last time, purple highlights. This time, she tapered the color from linen blonde on top to chestnut blonde on the bottom. She also cut it slightly differently to lighten up the shape. I love it.

She respects the freedom I gladly give. I let her do whatever she wants!  It's only hair. It grows out. It can be redone, but so far, she creates a winner every time.

Last time, she got excited about a fashion runway show. Grabbing her cell phone, she showed me the Pinterest photographs she favorited. The models' gowns, how they were colored with multiple hues that blended into each changing from the top of the gowns moving down to the hemline. She thinks it would be amazing to put those colors on hair. She got so excited she glowed. We had fun.

This time we talked about the urban dictionary and new slang words like "nesterday" and "herb." We looked them up; so, if you want to know, you have to, too.

As always, she is a delight. People who serve us can be a delight, and we need to let them know. I tip her generously because she deserves it. And, to be honest, I want to keep her!

Natalia loves bargain-hunting vintage clothes, the color blue and a drink at Starbucks named "flat-something". I will be bringing her one of those little coffees with me next time I come calling.

She cares. I appreciate Natalia a lot and, yes, I enjoy her enjoyment of her art.  Already, I can't wait for next time. She practices hair styling and design at Fantastic Sam's. But, she would be worth her salt at any high-end salon. I'm so lucky she practices on me.

3 comments:

  1. You remind me of Seinfeld. Know why? Maybe you could write for him. :)
    I loved this...and...I didn't know anything about why you got that boy-cut. Bless your soul...I am so glad for you that you have Natalia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Natalia is awesome. Thanks for your comment. Feel free to share Natalia with others. I have already sent her one referral because of this story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will keep her in mind. I am so glad you found your dream hair stylist!

    ReplyDelete